The one.com File Manager is a tool for administrating files on your web space. File Manager does the job for you by uploading, downloading, renaming and moving files. This article will give you an excellent overview of its essential features.
- Accessing File Manager
- Navigating files
- Creating a new folder
- Uploading files
- Managing duplicate files
- Downloading files
- Renaming a file
- Copying a file
- Moving a file
- Deleting a file
- Selecting multiple files
- Viewing file information
- Viewing a file
- Editing a file
- Unzipping a file
Accessing File Manager
You can access File Manager from your browser.
- Log into your one.com control panel
- Scroll down to the green tile called Files & Security
- Click File Manager
Tip: You can also access your File Manager via the link https://filemanager.one.com
Files are displayed alphabetically to differentiate between files. Each file type has its own icon.
How to open folders and use breadcrumbs:
You can open folders by double-clicking the file icon or name. Move back between folders by clicking the breadcrumbs (folder icons/path bar) above the list of files.
Make sure you have an updated view of files and folders in File Manager by clicking the Refresh button in the menu.
Creating a new folder
- Click New folder.
- Type a name for the new folder.
- Press return / enter on your keyboard.
- Open File Manager in your browser.
- Open the folder in File Manager where you want to upload your files.
- Click Upload files in the menu at the top.
- Select the files you want to upload and click Open.
Tip: It’s also possible to drag and drop files. Simply drag files directly to File Manager to upload them.
Managing duplicate files
If a file or folder with the same name already exists, File Manager will ask if you want to overwrite the existing file.
- Select the file(s) you want to download in File Manager.
- Click Download in the pane to the right.
- Depending on your browser settings, you will be asked to click Save to open the file.
- Choose where you want to save the file and click Save again.
Renaming a file
- Select the file that you want to rename.
- Click Rename next to the pen icon in the pane to the right.
- Type or paste the new name.
- Press Enter on your keyboard.
Copying a file
- Select the file(s) that you want to copy.
- Click Copy in the pane to the right.
- Go to the location in File Manager where you want to copy the file to.
- Click Copy the item to this folder.
Moving a file
The easiest way to move a file from one folder to another is to drag it to the new location.
To move a file to a specific path:
- Select the file(s) to be moved.
- Click Move in the pane to the right.
- Go to the location in File Manager where you want to move the file to.
- Click the button: Move the item to this folder.
Deleting a file
- Select the file you want to delete.
- Click Delete next to the trash bin icon in the top right.
- Click Delete in the bottom left to confirm that you want to delete the file.
Selecting multiple files
Actions that apply to one file can often also be applied to an entire group of files.
Options for selecting multiple files:
- Menu: Use the Select all / Select none feature in the menu.
- Shortcut: Use the keyboard shortcut "cmd + A" (Mac) or "Ctrl + A" (PC) to select all files.
- Check box: Or check and uncheck the box next to the file icon to add and remove files from a selection.
Viewing file information
Information about a file (size, modification date) is displayed next to the file name.
You can also view file information by doing the following:
- Select the file to inspect.
- Look in the pane to the right, where you will find the size and when the file was last modified.
Note: Only the number of selected files will be displayed if you have selected multiple files.
Viewing a file
View any file from File Manager directly in your browser.
- Select the file you want to view
- Click View next to the eye icon in the pane to the right
- The file will open a preview
- You can click the arrow keys to navigate between your files
Note: If your browser cannot display a preview of the file, it will be downloaded instead.
Editing a file
You can edit any .html file with File Manager's built-in editor.
All files that appear as text for the editor can be edited, e.g. .htaccesss, .js, .php, .txt, .css etc.
The editor highlights the syntax and line numbers to make editing easier. The character set used will be displayed in the pane to the right.
- Open File Manager.
- Select the file you want to edit.
- Click Edit in the pane to the right.
- The content of the file will be displayed, and you can view and edit it.
- Click Save to save your changes.
- When you are done editing, click on Back to return to the menu.
Note: If you try to edit the code from your one.com blog, Gallery or Website Builder page, you get a warning, and we recommend that you don’t edit or rename any of these files.
Unzipping a file
File Manager allows you to unzip ZIP files directly on your web space. It is no longer necessary to unzip the file locally first and then upload it via File Manager or an FTP client. If you want to unpack the CMS you downloaded, this feature is useful for you. Also, you can use it to unpack a backup ZIP file. An unzip icon will only appear when a single .zip file is selected and clicked.
Note: The following limitations apply:
- Maximum file size to be extracted: 3 GB of data
- Maximum amount of files to be extracted: 40K files
- Password protected ZIP files can not be extracted.
- Only a single ZIP file can be extracted at a time. Multiple selected ZIP files will not have the unzip icon available.
- It only works for .zip file extension and not for other compressed archive extensions such as .rar, .tar, .gz etc.