Shop owners that are based in Europe can offer their customers to use Giropay as a payment method. Giropay is a popular payment system in Germany. Only customers with a German bank account can use it.
- Step 1 - Enable Giropay in your online shop
- Step 2 - Go to Stripe account
- Step 3 - Sign in to Stripe
- Step 4 - Activate Giropay in your Stripe settings
- Step 5 - Confirm activation of Giropay
- Step 6 - Provide additional information
- Step 7 - Giropay has been activated
Note: Before you can enable Giropay as a payment method in your online shop, you need to create a Stripe account and connect it to your online shop.
Don't have a Stripe account yet? Check our guide to help you get started: Getting started with Stripe
Step 1 - Enable Giropay in your online shop
To start, you need to enable Giropay in your online shop.
- Go to your online shop administration in the control panel.
- Click Settings > Payment options.
- Check the box for Giropay.
Step 2 - Go to Stripe account
You will now be redirected to your Stripe account, where you need to activate Giropay.
Click Go to Stripe account.
Step 3 - Sign in to Stripe
Enter your Stripe login details and click Sign in to your account.
Step 4 - Activate Giropay in your Stripe settings
- In your Stripe dashboard, click Settings in the menu to the left, all the way at the bottom.
- Next, click Payment Methods in the middle of the screen.
- Next to Giropay, click Activate.
Step 5 - Confirm activation of Giropay
By activating Giropay, you agree to Stripe's terms of service and the Giropay addendum.
Click Activate to continue.
Step 6 - Provide additional information
To activate Giropay as a payment method, you need to enter your personal ID number.
- Enter your personal number and click Update.
Step 7 - Giropay has been activated
Stripe will notify you via email as soon as Giropay has been activated. This may take up to 30 minutes. Please contact Stripe support if Giropay doesn't go "Live".
Note: As soon as Giropay has been activated in Stripe, it will be available as a payment method in your online shop.
If you want to disable Giropay again in the future, you can simply uncheck the box under Settings in your online shop administration.