Moving a Website Builder site to another domain is currently not supported. However, it's possible to manually move some content by copy-pasting. Pages and settings need to be added manually. In this guide we explain how to do this.
If you decide to try this, please be aware that it's a workaround and not something that we officially support. This also means that we might change things that prevent this from working in the future.
- Step 1 - Copy the file and image folders to the new domain
- Step 2 - Prepare Website Builder on your new domain
- Step 3 - Open Website Builder on your old domain in incognito mode
- Step 4 - Copy the template content to your new domain
- Step 5 - Copy each page to your new domain
- Step 6 - Check if everything works and Publish
While following this guide you need to use the following keyboard shortcuts.
Use Ctrl on Windows and ⌘ on Mac.
- Select all: Ctrl + A or ⌘ + A
- Copy: Ctrl + C or ⌘ + C
- Paste: Ctrl + V or ⌘ + V
Step 1 - Copy the file and image folders to the new domain
Start by copying your files and images from your old domain to your new domain. You need to migrate two folders: onewebmedia and onewebstatic.
- Log in to the one.com control panel on your old domain.
- Open File Manager on the Files & Security tile.
- Select the folders onewebmedia and onewebstatic by checking the boxes and click Download in the top-right corner.
- Locate the file you just downloaded, called httpd.www.zip, on your computer and extract it.
- Open File Manager on your NEW domain.
- Drag the folders you just extracted into File Manager to get them uploaded.
Note: If a folder name in File Manager is in italic, that means the upload is still ongoing. Wait until the upload has completed before you continue.
Step 2 - Prepare Website Builder on your new domain
The next step is to prepare your site in Website Builder on your new domain. You need to do the following things:
- Select a template, the same as you have in your existing site. If you have changed settings in the template, like a new font, you need to do this again for your new site.
- Remove all default content from the template and pages, so they look empty. The easiest way to do this is to select all and then click delete.
- Recreate the pages from your existing site, so you have the same number of pages, with the same name and the same structure.
- Manage settings for things like social sharing, cookie banner or tracking. You can also do this later, but be aware that it will not be copied.
- Save your settings and keep Website Builder open.
Step 3 - Open Website Builder on your old domain in incognito mode
For the next steps, you need to have both your old and new site open in Website Builder. To prevent that you are automatically logged off in one session when opening a new one, you need to use an incognito or private window.
You can find the private window option in most browsers by clicking on the menu in the top-right corner. Another option is to use two separate browsers, like Chrome and Edge or Safari and Firefox.
When you have both the new and old site open in Website Builder, continue.
Step 4 - Copy the template content to your new domain
- Click Edit template in the bottom right corner in both Website Builder sessions.
- Select and copy all content in your template on your old site.
- Paste the template content in your new site.
- Remove any empty space at the top and make sure it looks as expected
- Click Save.
Step 5 - Copy each page to your new domain
- Click Edit page again in the bottom right corner in both Website Builder sessions.
- Select and copy all content on your first page.
- Paste the content in the corresponding page in your new site.
- Remove any empty spaces and click Save.
- Repeat this for each page you want to move.
Step 6 - Check if everything works and Publish
Go to website settings and check your logo, favicon and contact details. You probably need to add these again. If you have a contact form in your site, you need to update the email address to one on your new domain. You also need to optimize your site again for mobile devices in the Mobile View editor.
If everything is working and you are satisfied, you can publish your site.