In general, it is important for the performance and security of your WordPress website to keep all themes and plugins up to date. However, in some cases installing the latest version of a plugin or theme can lead to issues with your website and it might be necessary to reverse the update. This guide illustrates how to roll back a plugin or theme.
Step 1 - Download the plugin WP Rollback
First, you need to download a plugin that is designed to help you with the rollback.
- Go to wordpress.org to download the WP Rollback plugin.
- Upload the plugin to your WordPress dashboard and click Install now.
- Click Activate Plugin.
Note: The WP Rollback plugin is a third party product that has not been developed by one.com. If you experience any problems with the plugin itself, please contact the developer.
Step 2 - Initiate the rollback
Once you have installed and activated the WP Rollback plugin, you can start the rollback.
Note: We recommend that you create a backup of your web space and your database before starting the rollback.
- Find the plugin or theme that you want to set back to a previous version, in your WordPress dashboard, and select Rollback.
- Choose which version you want to reverse the plugin or theme to.
- Click Rollback.
- Confirm the action by also selecting Rollback in the pop-up window that will be shown.
Step 3 - Done!
That's it - you have now successfully rolled back the plugin or theme to its previous version.