Website Performance Scan is a search engine optimization (SEO) tool built by marketgoo to help small-to-medium business owners optimize their website for search engines, improve their search ranking, and gain more traffic on their website.
The Website Performance Scan is included for free when you buy a hosting subscription at one.com. When we detect that you have published your website, marketgoo scans your site and sends a report via email with tips to improve your site for SEO.
What is SEO?
SEO stands for search engine optimization, and it is the process of improving your online content and your keywords so that your website ranks higher in search engines. (Ranking higher in search engines means that potential customers can find you more easily online when they are looking for products or services like yours.)
How SEO scoring works with marketgoo
Along with the information it receives from search engines, marketgoo analyses your website and creates a performance report identifying SEO issues on your site and tips to improve this.
Top 12 SEO tips explained
- Keywords: are the words that tell the reader what your website or content is about. They are the words that searchers put in search engines to find what they are looking for. So the better your keyword use, the easier you are to find.
- Mobile responsiveness: the responsiveness of your website is to do with how it changes based on the screen size. A laptop, a tablet, and a mobile have different size views, so how your website is structured needs to cater to that.
- Programming errors: several programming errors can happen on a website, and these errors can affect the user’s experience. It’s important to make the journey for the customer on your site as seamless as possible.
- Duplicate content: is any content that appears anywhere on the internet twice. This can confuse Google’s SEO indices and link metrics, as they don’t know where is the best place to send searchers for what they are looking for.
- Frequent updates: if you think of your website as a “live” structure that interacts with visitors, customers, and search engine indexes, you’ll understand why regularly and updating your website’s content is important.
- Duplicate titles: is when you have multiple pages on your website with the same title tags. Google doesn’t like similarities as it may confuse the searcher who could be misdirected to the wrong page. Page names should be specific.
- Broken links: could mean a bad user experience as they are directed to a page that isn’t working, so search engines don’t rank broken links very highly. Website performance scans, like marketgoo’s, can keep an eye on this for you.
- Noindex tags: are pages that are not indexed or “shown”. People often do this with archived content, but it’s important to get the balance right. Google will spend time trawling your website anyway, so better to trawl the right pages.
- Robots.txt file: is a text file that tells web robots or search engines which pages on your website to crawl. Without these instructions, Google doesn’t know what pages on your website to target when it wants to rank your page.
- Mobile loading: we all know the frustration of a slow loading web page, and this is also true on a mobile phone. Users expect a website that loads quickly, no matter what the device, but we are using phones more and more.
- Website loading: website loading speed is important for much the same reason as mobile loading, slow loading leads to user frustration and a bad user experience. Your page must load in 1-3 seconds to be ranked well.
- Sitemap: is a file placed on your website that lists all the pages on your website. For search engines, sitemaps are important to understand your website architecture, and for users, it makes it easier to find pages on a site.
If you want more in-depth information on improving SEO for your website, you can upgrade to one of the other plans marketgoo offers through one.com.