In 2020, GratisDNS became part of one.com Group AB. Since we always aim to provide the best service for our customers, we have decided that the time has now come to fully make GratisDNS a part of one.com. This means that we will soon be moving customers from GratisDNS over to one.com.
All GratisDNS systems will be shut down on Thursday 30 June 2022.
From that day you will no longer be able to update your zones, and if you are still using GratisDNS' name servers, your DNS service will stop working. Until then, you can still download a copy of your zone file.
If you have a question that's not answered in this FAQ, please reach out to one.com support - or read this article about one.com's DNS infrastructure.
- When will the migration take place?
- Will DNS still be free?
- Will my DNS automatically be migrated to one.com?
- Will my webspace/email subscription automatically be migrated to one.com?
- Will my email keep working?
- Should I expect downtime during the migration?
- Which hosting plan will I be migrated to?
- Will my price change?
- Is there anything I need to do myself before the migration?
- Will I need to confirm the migration?
- Do I need to update my email setup?
- Will my mail forwards keep working?
- What will happen to my calendars and contact lists?
- Can I keep sending emails from my website using a script?
- What happened to emails on my cPanel system account?
- How do I log in to one.com? Do I get a new login?
- I'm already a one.com customer; what happens then?
- Are there any products that won't be included in the migration?
- I have DNSSEC on my domain; do I need to do anything to transfer this?
- What are the new name servers called?
- Do I need to pay one.com for my .dk domain?
- What should I do if I do not want to be migrated to one.com?
- Can I access my Netplads hosting backup to retrieve all my data before the migration?
- Where can I find a copy of my old invoice?
- How do I get the Auth ID for my domain?
- Who should I contact in case I have questions?
- Where can I see which domains I have with GratisDNS?
- What happens with prepaid credits on my subscription with GratisDNS?
- Does one.com support Dynamic DNS?
- Does one.com support secondary DNS?
- Does one.com support DNS templates?
When will the migration take place?
We're migrating domains until the end of May. We'll send an email a few days before we start the migration of your account. Once the migration is done we send an email with more information about your new login, and in case you have hosting, information about your new plan.
Will DNS still be free?
Yes. All current free DNS setups will be transferred to free DNS at one.com. This means that all GratisDNS customers will be able to continue managing their domain and DNS settings for free after the migration as they can now.
GratisDNS customers who currently have a paid hosting subscription will be migrated to a hosting plan with matching features at one.com.
Will my DNS automatically be migrated to one.com?
That depends on where your domain is hosted.
If your domain is hosted with GratisDNS as your provider/registrar, everything will be migrated automatically, and you don't need to do anything.
If your domain is hosted somewhere else (Loopia, Dandomain, etc.), and you only use the DNS service with GratisDNS, then you need to update your nameservers yourself.
The new name servers are:
There won't be any downtime on DNS when the migration takes place.
Tip: After your domain is migrated, the old GratisDNS nameservers will continue to resolve for 30 days. This way, if you need to change nameservers yourselves you will get a mail about this from us and you have 30 days to make the change.
Will my webspace/email subscription automatically be migrated to one.com?
Yes, all web hosting content, as well as all email accounts, will be transferred automatically. Email forwards you've set up will keep working as well.
If you experience any unforeseen errors after the migration, please contact one.com support.
Will my email keep working?
Yes, your email will keep working, but there are a few things you need to be aware of.
- You'll be able to access your email in one.com's Webmail, but your email settings in clients such as Outlook may no longer work and need updating. Netplads users need to update their settings immediately after the migration, MXhotel users can keep using their current settings for the first weeks. Always make a backup before changing mail settings.
- We're unable to migrate your calendars and contact lists. Instead we'll export them to .csv, .vcf, and .ics files. These files will be sent as email attachments to your account. The email will be sent from email@example.com with the subject "Konverteringsinformation fra firstname.lastname@example.org; vedr. dine konverterede data". After the migration, you can easily import these files again.
- If you send emails from your website, you need to update your configuration from "localhost" to "mailout.one.com", otherwise you will no longer be able to send mail. You can find more information in our guide.
- We've created a new email address for the cPanel system account you had with GratisDNS. Here you can find all emails and data that were stored on this account. Depending on your settings, your system account was being used as a catch-all address.
It starts with your username for cPanel, for example, email@example.com. To log in for the first time, you need to reset the password for the email account. Check this guide on how to change it.
- Email forwards will keep working, but during the first days after the migration, they won't be visible in the one.com control panel. After we've imported them, you can view and edit forwards by clicking on the "Email" tile, and then going to "Settings" for your email account. Check our guide for step-by-step instructions.
Should I expect downtime during the migration?
There won't be any downtime on DNS while the migration takes place, though you may be unable to make any changes. For web, database and email migration there might be downtime while we copy the data.
For the average customer, we expect the whole process to be done in 10 minutes.
Update: The migrations are taking a bit longer than expected, in some cases up to 24 hours. Your domains, websites and emails will keep working, but you may be unable to log in to both the one.com and GratisDNS control panel.
Which hosting plan will I be migrated to?
The short answer is, it depends. The migration logic will match each customer to the nearest plan based on the number of hosted domains and databases. Once your domains are migrated, you can explore the one.com Control Panel and change your hosting plan as needed – or contact one.com support for help finding the right plan for your needs.
Compared to GratisDNS, one.com offers more space, more features and unlimited traffic, but does limit the number of domains and databases connected to a plan. Every domain that is connected to a hosting plan shares its features; for example, the Expert plan includes 7 licences for SiteLock Find worth over 1500,- kr. a year.
Tip: To reduce your hosting bill, disconnect the domain names you are not using for hosting and redirect them instead.
|Webspace||Domains||Databases||Email accounts**||Price/month incl. VAT|
|Mail Only||25GB||1||-||5||15,- kr.|
*The Genius and Unlimited plans are only available via the control panel. These plans are meant for users who host multiple relatively simple websites. They share the Beginner specs but include more domains, databases and webspace.
** New limits will be effective from March 2022. All web hosting plans will have an unlimited number of mailboxes, each a maximum of 3GB in size. The Mail-Only plan will have 5 mailboxes, vs 2 today.
Will my price change?
DNS is free now, and will also stay free at one.com. The price for hosting will be a little lower for some customers, while for others, it will be a little higher. We will match your current hosting package at GratisDNS/MXhotel as best as possible. For the domains themselves, one.com's standard prices for domain renewals will apply. If your subscription needs to be renewed before the migration, this will happen as usual. After the migration, domains are renewed through one.com.
one.com's plans have significantly more space and unlimited traffic. This means that for most customers, the migration will result in an upgrade of their current packages. You can find more information about the pricing of one.com plans on the website. Here, you can also see the prices for domain renewals.
Is there anything I need to do myself before the migration?
GratisDNS and one.com will handle the migration for you, but you can help us ensure a smooth process by logging in to your GratisDNS user beforehand and checking that your email address and primary data are up to date and correct.
Will I need to confirm the migration?
No, this won't be necessary, as this is not a traditional transfer between two providers. However, the first time you log in to the one.com Control Panel after the migration, you will be asked to confirm that your contact information is correct.
If you have a .dk domain and you're interested in making one.com the registrar, you will also encounter a message regarding this option when you log in for the first time.
Do I need to update my email setup?
If you've set up your email account in a client such as Outlook you need to update your email settings to one.com's mail servers. You'll always be able to send and receive emails in one.com's Webmail, regardless of your settings.
- Netplads users need to update their email settings immediately after the migration.
- MXhotel users can keep using their current settings for the first weeks after migration.
The reason for the different behaviour is that Netplads supports SNI Let's Encrypt certificates, which allows you to use your own domain as the mail server, and one.com doesn't support this.
Updating your mail server settings
Before you update your settings, we strongly urge you to make a backup of your emails. Especially if you have them stored on your computer or if you use POP. With one click you could accidentally delete all your emails, and we don't have backups available in that case.
Check these guides on how to update your email settings:
- How do I set up my email account in for example Outlook?
- How do I update my POP mail settings?
- Change your email setup from POP to IMAP
Important: Remember to make a backup of your email, before changing your settings!
Will my mail forwards keep working?
Yes, your email forwarding will keep working, but during the first days, you won't be able to see them in the one.com control panel.
We will import the forwards to one.com a few days after the migration of your domain, and from then on you can also view or change them. Check our guide on how to add/edit email forwards at one.com.
Why do I get a certificate error in my email client?
If you've set up your email account with your own domain as the mail server - mail.yourdomain.com - you could get a certificate error shortly before the migration. This is caused by a proxy that we need to enable to keep your email working after the migration. We sincerely apologise for the inconvenience.
The solution is to temporarily allow that it's not possible to verify the server identity by clicking Accept, Continue or Log in anyways - depending on your email client.
Once the migration is completed, you can secure your account again by updating your settings to one.com's mail servers.
What will happen to my calendars and contact lists?
We're unable to migrate your calendars and contact lists to one.com.
Instead we'll export them to .csv, .vcf, and .ics files. These files will be sent as email attachments to your account. The email will be sent from firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject "Konverteringsinformation fra email@example.com; vedr. dine konverterede data". After the migration, you can easily import these files again.
Can I keep sending emails from my website using a script?
Yes, you can, but you need to update your configuration. You need to replace "localhost" with "mailout.one.com". It's also required that you use an active email account and that the settings match this account.
Check our guide for more information.
What happened to emails on my cPanel system account?
We've created a new email address for the cPanel system account you had with GratisDNS. Here you can find all emails and data that were stored on this account. Depending on your settings, your system account was being used as a catch-all address.
It starts with your username for cPanel, for example, firstname.lastname@example.org. To log in for the first time, you need to reset the password for the email account. Check this guide on how to change it.
How do I log in to one.com? Do I get a new login?
After the migration, you can log in to the one.com control panel with your email address as username. When the migration takes place, you will receive a welcome email with a new password. If you have two-step verification enabled, it will be transferred to your one.com login. Going forward, you will be able to use Google Authenticator.
I'm already a one.com customer; what happens then?
If you're already a customer at one.com we can migrate the domains you have with GratisDNS into your existing one.com account, so they're all gathered under one login.
The only thing you need to do is to make sure that the email address with GratisDNS is the same as on your one.com account. Likewise, if you don't want your accounts merged, you need to make sure that you use different email addresses for your GratisDNS and one.com accounts.
Are there any products that won't be included in the migration?
Unfortunately, some products can't be brought over to one.com because one.com doesn't support or offer them. Note that domains and hosting on the same GratisDNS user will still be migrated to one.com.
- Hosted spam filter - You'll receive an email before the migration with more information about cancellation and refunds.
- MXbackup - You'll receive an email before the migration with more information about cancellation and refunds.
- Reverse DNS (PTR records) - We recommend finding an alternative provider for Reverse DNS, for example, your internet provider.
- Mailman - If you want to keep your data you need to make a backup before the migration. Please contact GratisDNS support if you have any questions on how to do this.
I have DNSSEC on my domain; do I need to do anything to transfer this?
If the domain is registered through GratisDNS, everything will be handled automatically and you don't need to do anything.
If you have registered it through another provider and only use the DNS service at GratisDNS, you only need to update the nameservers. The DNSSEC keys will be migrated and the published DS records will stay the same.
What are the new name servers called?
The new name servers/hostnames are:
At one.com we use an anycast setup for our DNS servers. We have multiple servers spread across 8 physical locations in 7 different countries in Europe. Therefore, there are more than two name servers, even though there are only two hostnames.
Do I need to pay one.com for my .dk domain?
No, not if you decide to keep DK Hostmaster as the registrar for your .dk domain. Then you pay the yearly fee to them. Meaning that if you only have DNS and a .dk domain, you don't pay one.com for anything.
However, you do have the option to make one.com the registrar for your .dk domain after the migration. Then we will renew the domain and you will the yearly fee to us. You'll see a message with more info about this option when you log in to your one.com control panel for the first time.
What should I do if I do not want to be migrated to one.com?
If you don't want to be migrated to one.com, you need to cancel your subscription and transfer your domain to another provider, before the migration. Please send an email to email@example.com if you need help.
Note: It's not enough to delete your settings. If GratisDNS is the registrar of the domain, the domain will be transferred to one.com, in accordance with our obligations as a domain registrar.
GratisDNS and Larsen Data ApS are already part of one.com group AB, so technically you're already a customer of one.com. The GratisDNS brand will be dismantled, and the migration is just a matter of moving the domains to a new technical backend within the same company group. It is therefore more a technical change rather than an actual transfer between two different providers.
Of course, you can always cancel your subscription later at one.com, after the domain has been migrated. You can find more information in the one.com guide on how to cancel a subscription.
Can I access my Netplads hosting backup to retrieve all my data before the migration?
Yes, if you are missing a backup, then this is an option. You can find more information in the GratisDNS backup guide.
Where can I find a copy of my old invoice?
If you want a copy of an old invoice, you need to get via GratisDNS before the migration. If you have any questions about this, please contact GratisDNS support.
How do I get the Auth ID for my domain?
Before the migration, you can obtain it through GratisDNS.
If you want it after the migration, then one.com can help with that. Please contact one.com support, and we will send you the Auth-ID to the registered email address of the domain.
Who should I contact in case I have questions?
For questions about the migration, please contact one.com's support. You can always reach the one.com support via chat or email. There is also Danish phone support available on weekdays from 09:00 - 16:00.
If you have questions about GratisDNS' current solutions and current operational issues, please contact the GratisDNS support.
Where can I see which domains I have with GratisDNS?
You can use the forget password page at GratisDNS to get your login details. If you don't remember your domain, you can instead also type in your email address.
First, type in the domain (or email address) to request a username. Next, you can use the username to request a new password. Once you're logged in you can see all domains connected to this username.
What happens with prepaid credits on my subscription with GratisDNS?
All prepaid credit will be migrated to one.com, so you'll keep the same credit on your hosting plan with one.com. You can use your prepaid credits to pay for future invoices or request a refund.
Does one.com support Dynamic DNS?
No. All DNS changes need to be done manually in the control panel. Check our guide for available DNS records and how to add them.
Does one.com support secondary DNS?
Our DNS service supports secondary DNS, often used for a hidden primary. You must allow AXFR requests from axfr.one.com (126.96.36.199 or 2a02:2350:5:210::1), which is also the server you should NOTIFY when you update your zones.
During the transition period, we suggest that customers allow AXFR from both axfr.gratisdns.dk (188.8.131.52) and axfr.one.com (184.108.40.206 or 2a02:2350:5:210::1), and notify both servers.
The ability to change the IP of the primary server will be added to the one.com control panel as soon as possible.
After the migration
When your domains are migrated to one.com you need to change the following settings:
- Configure your firewall to accept UDP and TCP connections from 220.127.116.11 or 2a02:2350:5:210::1 (keep accepting the current IP 18.104.22.168 for now).
- Configure your nameservers to notify and allow AXFR to 22.214.171.124 or 2a02:2350:5:210::1 (keep allowing the current IP 126.96.36.199 for now).
- Update your DNS server on all zones to one.com's NS records:
And remove GratisDNS' NS records:
Also, include a public nameserver if you have one.
- If you have a hidden primary, you need to update the SOA record of the primary NS on all zones from ns1.gratisdns.dk to ns01.one.com.
- Bump the serial and reload the zone in the nameserver to activate notifications on all zones.
- Finally, contact one.com support and ask them to change the nameservers for your domains to one.com's.
Does one.com support DNS templates?
No, DNS templates are not supported at one.com. All domains will be migrated from GratisDNS with the current settings, but after that, you'll need to manage your settings for each domain separately in the one.com control panel.