In this article, we explain what name servers are used for and how to change them. You can only manage your name servers in your one.com control panel if your domain is registered with us.
- What happens when you change the name servers?
- Change the name servers from the control panel
- Change the name servers with a PDF form
- Change the name servers for .dk and .es domains
What happens when you change the name servers?
The name servers determine what DNS provider your domain is using. If you have a web hosting subscription with one.com, your default name servers are ns01.one.com and ns02.one.com. When you change the name servers for your domain to those of a third party, all features included with your web hosting subscription will stop working - for example, the Website Builder, Online shop and email.
That's why we recommend that you keep the one.com name servers when possible. If you want to connect to an external service, it's often possible to achieve the same result by changing your DNS settings. You are welcome to contact our support for assistance.
Note: If you have a domain-only subscription with us, changing the name servers doesn't disable any features because web hosting is not part of your subscription.
Change the nameservers from the control panel
You can change the name servers for most domains from the one.com control panel under DNS settings. Do you want to change the name servers for .dk (if the domain is registered with DK Hostmaster) or .es domains? Check further down this page on how to do this.
- Log in to the one.com control panel.
- Click DNS settings on the Advanced settings tile.
- Go to Name servers.
- Select the option Change to custom name servers.
- Enter the first name server and optionally an IP address.
- Repeat the process for your second name server. It needs to be different from the first one.
- Click Save to send your request to our Hostmaster team to be processed.
If everything is correct, the name servers will be changed within 5 minutes. However, it can take up to 24 hours until the changes are active.
Note: If the contact details of the registrant (=domain owner) and subscription owner differ, we will send an email to the registrant's email address with a link to approve the request.
Not sure what your current owner details are? Check our guide: Where can I find my current owner details?
Change the name servers with a PDF form
If you cannot change your name servers from the one.com control panel, for example, when your subscription has expired, you can use a PDF form.
Please note that the registrant (=domain owner) needs to sign the form.
- Download the form: Request to change name servers.
- Fill out the registrant details and type in the name servers; we need at least 2.
- Print out the form.
- Sign the form with a pen - digital signatures are not allowed.
- Make a scan or digital photo of the signed form and email it to email@example.com.
We will answer your email within 24 hours, but it can take up to three working days before the form has been processed and the name servers are updated.
Change the name servers for .dk and .es domains
Due to the policies of the .es and .dk domain registries the process to change the name servers are different from other domains.
If your domain is registered with one.com, you can follow the steps above and change the servers with us. However, if the domain is registered with DK Hostmaster, you need to change the name servers yourself from the self-service with DK-Hostmaster (the registry for .dk domains).
The following guides created by DK-Hostmaster may be helpful for you:
You can change the name servers for .es domains yourself by logging in on Dominios.es or by filling out the PDF form so that we can change it on your behalf.
The following link may be helpful for you: