In this guide, we show you how to change the domain and web space subscription owner from the one.com control panel.
In our examples in this guide, both the domain and web space are registered on the same legal entity. You can also select to change the owner of either the domain or the web space, and they can have different owners. In those cases, the procedure will be only slightly different.
The steps are divided into Current owner and New owner.
- Step 1 - Current owner: Go to My account
- Step 2 - Current owner: Go to My products
- Step 3 - Current owner: Go to Change domain owner
- Step 4 - Current owner: Select the type of owner change
- Step 5 - Current owner: Enter the new owner details
- Step 6 - Current owner: Copy the security code
- Step 7 - Current owner: Confirm the owner change
- Step 8 - New owner: Start confirmation of the owner change
- Step 9 - New owner: Confirm your details
- Step 10 - New owner: Approve the domain registration agreement
- Step 11 - Wait for approval
Note: If you can't make the owner change from the control panel for any reason, you will need to fill out a PDF form.
Please choose the specific owner change form for your type of domain, and use the form "general-owner-change.pdf" if your domain is a gTLD domain.
You can find all our forms here:
Owner change forms.
Step 1 - Current owner: Go to My account
Log in to the one.com control panel and click on My Account in the top-right corner.
Step 2 - Current owner: Go to My products
Click My products in the menu that appears.
Step 3 - Current owner: Go to Change domain owner
Click Manage for the domain that you want to change the details for, and select Change domain owner in the menu that appears.
Step 4 - Current owner: Select the type of owner change
You need to choose if you will change ownership of the domain, web space subscription or both. In the example in this guide, we change the ownership for both.
Not sure what the difference is? Please check our guide explaining the difference between the subscription and domain owner.
Select your preference and click Next.
Note: If the subscription plan is a Domain only or an Email only, you still need to change the web space owner. Otherwise, the new owner won't have access to the control panel and won't be able to manage the subscription.
Step 5 - Current owner: Enter the new owner details
- Select what type of customer the new owner is.
- Enter the name and contact details of the new owner.
- Select whether the new owner for the domain will be the same. In this guide, we selected yes.
- Click Next to continue.
Step 6 - Current owner: Copy the security code
An email has been sent to your contact email address with a security code to validate that you are the owner.
Open the email in your inbox and copy the security code.
Note: If the email address registered for the domain differs from the web space subscription, two security codes will be sent if you change the owner of both the domain and web space.
Step 7 - Current owner: Confirm the owner change
- Paste the security code in the designated box.
- Check the box to confirm that you want to transfer all rights.
- If you change the owner of a gTLD, you need to choose if you want to opt out of the 60 days lock.
- Click Next to continue.
Step 8 - New owner: Start confirmation of the owner change
An email has been sent to the email address of the new owner. Open the email and click Start owner change.
Step 9 - New owner: Confirm your details
At the top of the screen, you see your customer details. Please check if everything is correct.
- Enter your date of birth. This does not apply to all domains.
- Accept the terms for the owner change, including our terms of business; you need to check all five boxes.
- Click Complete or To domain registration agreement, depending on the domain, to continue.
Step 10 - New owner: Approve the domain registration agreement
Check the box to accept the Domain Registration Agreement and click Approve.
Note: This step is only part of the procedure if you change the owner of a generic top-level domain.
Step 11 - Wait for approval
Your owner change request is now being processed. It may take a couple of days before it is approved.
As soon as it has been approved, the new and previous owners will receive a confirmation via email. The new owner will also receive an invoice and log-in details.
Tip: If you haven't received an email from us within three days, we recommend you to contact our support.